A Facade is generally one exterior side /wall of the building usually but not always the front side and it literally means “ Frontage or Face of the building “.
In architecture world ,the facade of a building is often most important aspects from a design point of view .From engineering perspective, it has great importance due to its impact on various fronts and parameters (Shielding it from harsh weather, Pollution, Acid rains and smog, Day night temperature) it has a great role on saving of energy, keeping the building warm & cool and most of the time acts as protective shield from heat & rain .
Building Facade started its journey years back in 807 B.C in Japan where wooden logs were used as facade material and travelled to most of the world and used local building material as clay, lime, wood and stone to create facade .
The prominent facade material were clay, wood and stone and glass also started making inroad by 1800 Century in Europe. Most of the world’s popular buildings have best facade designs and one of the reasons for its popularity .
Pyramids of Egypt, Most of the Roman buildings, Red Fort in Delhi, Taj Mahal at Agra and Hawamahal at Jaipur, Parliament building at Delhi, India Gate at Delhi and Gateway of India, Lotus Temple in Delhi are the best examples of great facade designs. If you consider the life of the buildings mentioned above, their facade designs had played vital role in its life with various in build features .
With inception of modern technology in building construction stone and glass took important position as preferred faced material and stayed for long period in 1900 century. With help of western designs and space crunch in major cities, natural stone, glass and aluminium composite panel has got favored as preferred facade material and as on date most preferred material .
Most of the architects were still looking for substitute for ACP and stone as faced material due to its limitation on various parameters and short span of life, Europe took initiative and a new concept of Ceramic material in shape of large size slabs with slim technology introduced in building industry and gradually it started making in roads and had got featured as best material for building enveloping.
With inception of digital printing technology, Ceramic facade has travelled a long and created a mile stone. With the help of most modern and highly automated process to make ceramic slabs extremely flexible ,weather proof and availability of colour and design ,it has become great choice among designers and architects in Europe a replacement for stone and ACP material for dead areas of the building .
It has got various advantages over natural stone and ACP material as under :
– Weather proof and chemical resistance hence no change of colour.
– High M.O.H Value hence wear resistance and has no damage due to pollution and dust attack.
– Zero water absorption hence 100% frost resistance and can be used in any part of the world.
– Light weight hence no extra dead load on the wall /structure .
– 100% anti bacterial and free from algae and fungus growth due to zero water absorption.
– Easy to clean and maintain.
– Energy saving due to high solar reflectivity and can save 30% on electricity bills on Heating and air conditioning.
– Confirms to green building material category due to recyclable, reusable and high S.R.I Value and attains green credit points to the building.
– Easy to install using wet adhesive process for small buildings and dry installation for big buildings.
– Very low cost per life cycle compared to all other facade material.
– Wide range of colours and designs available ,even for large projects customization is possible.
The Indian building industry is growing at a pace where demand for such kind of material will grow drastically and ceramic facade Industry has good potential to grow along with Indian building industry.
A recent survey indicates the entry of few Italian and Spanish brands making in roads and few Indian companies are also venturing into ceramic facade concepts making the product and services easily available to the market.
For further details:
11, Titanium, Corporate Road,
Opp. Prahalad Nagar Garden, Satellite,
Ahmedabad-380 015, Gujarat, India.