The GOI has invited fresh bids for the construction of the Zojila Tunnel project. The National Highways & Infrastructure Development Corporation (NHIDC) has set the estimated cost of the project at Rs. 4,899 crores. The duration of the project is set at seven years. Bids for the project can be submitted between April 1st and April 8th, however, the NHIDC is accepting queries from potential contractors till March 18th.
The project was earlier taken up by IL&FS in January 2018. IL&FS beat L&T, Reliance Infrastructure and Jaiprakash Ventures with a bid of Rs. 6,808. However, according to reports, no work has been started at the ground level of the project site.
Zojila Tunnel Project
- Zojila is a mountain pass.
- It will provide year-long connectivity between Srinagar and Leh.
- The Zojila tunnel pass was first announced by the UPA-II govt., as part of the PPP and then on an EPC basis.
- The project was first awarded to IRB Infrastructure in January 2016.
- The tunnel is to be built at an altitude of 4,000 m above sea level.