Ministry of Railways has directed all Railway units to enforce ban on single use plastic material, with less than 50 micron thickness from 2nd October, 2019. The move comes against the backdrop of Modi’s clarion call in his Independence Day speech to eliminate single use plastic in the country.
The following measures will be enforced: w.e.f. 02.10.2019:
- Ban on single use plastic material
- All railway vendors to avoid use of plastic carry bags
- Staff should reduce, reuse and refuse plastic products and to use inexpensive reusable bags to reduce plastic footprint.
- IRCTC to implement return of plastic drinking water bottles as part of Extended Producer Responsibility.
- Plastic Bottle crushing machines to be provided expeditiously.
Ministry of Railways has also instructed its Railway units that a pledge can be administered on 2nd October, 2019 to cut use of plastics. Also, Information, Education & Communication (IEC) measures are to be adapted to create awareness among railway users.