Tajik President Emomali Rahmon inaugurated the Roghun power plant; a $3.9 billion mega-dam on November 16. He hopes it will solve the Central Asian country’s energy needs and transform Tajikistan into an energy exporter.
Key highlights about the project:
- The Roghun Power Plant is located on the river Vakhsh river.
- When all six turbines turbines are online, the Roghun Power Plant can generate a total of 3,600 megawatts of power.
- The origins of the project traces back to 1959 (the soviet era)
- Ground on the project was broken in 1976 however, the fall of the collapse of the Soviet Union further delayed work on the project.
- The project is considered a pet project of President Emomali Rahmon and work on it kick started again in 201.
- Upon completion – the plant is expected to reach a height of 335 metres (1,099 feet), becoming the world’s tallest hydro-electric dam.